Welfare Benefits

If you have suffered an injury and you are unable to work there are a number of welfare benefits you can claim for. Headway Central Lancashire can help you to claim benefits if you have a brain injury or a major trauma injury. Contact us for assistance on 07557123493 or 01772 791460.

We produce self help guides to help you start the claim procedure. 

Follow the links below for more information:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) it is for people aged 16 to 64 with a health condition or disability.

Universal Credit If you’re ill or disabled you can claim Universal Credit (formerly Employment and Support Allowance) in certain cases ESA can still be claimed. These benefits offer you: financial support if you’re unable to work or personalised help so that you can work if you’re able to.

Carer’s Allowance is to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

Direct Payments are paid to employ a carer or personal assistant. You can only get direct payments if you’ve been assessed by social services as needing care and support services.

Council Tax Reduction started from 1 April 2013. If you qualify for Council Tax Reduction you’ll get money off your Council Tax bill. You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

Disabled Facilities Grant You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home.

An Access to Work grant helps pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition so you can start working, stay in work or start your own business.

Becoming an appointee for someone claiming benefits. You can apply for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who can’t manage their own affairs because they’re mentally incapable or severely disabled.

A good resource to help you to claim any of the above can be found at Citizens Advice.


How to donate to our charity: https://headwaycentrallancashire.org.uk/how-to-donate/